Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A (Re)Found Motivation

i found myself thinking today. it occurred to me that i often think of myself as a dirty, filthy, worthless being, a sinner before the eyes of God. that no matter what i do, i am nothing more than a sinner before the eyes of God.

then something hit me.

i have Christ. I have professed Him as Lord and Savior of my life. i admit, as of late this commitment has not been fulfilled as i believe it should be. and i think this is why my mind traveled to this topic. i started to consciously view myself as worthless and dirty before the eyes of God. not to downplay my sin, but i do not believe this idea, this view of myself is correct.

the purpose of Christ's death was to cover our sins, so that when God looks at us, He sees the pureness of Christ, His Son. i am covered, my sin is washed away. again, this does not excuse my sin, as i will be held accountable for it on the day of judgment before that Great White Throne.

though i still fall, i know who i belong to, and what i am. a beloved child of God, forgiven of my sins through the acceptance and surrender of my life to Jesus Christ, through His death, burial and resurrection.

this gives me a re-found hope, one that it seems i have lost along the way recently. perhaps hope is not the best word, but motivation. a motivation to strive for pureness and holiness as i am called. God has called me to be holy as He is holy, i believe above all else. the fact i am seen as pure motivates me to strive for that pureness, that it might not be a fake image of who i am. not that my actions gain me favor, but that they bring Him pleasure.

i am pure in the eyes of God. for in me, He sees His Son. the One who took my punishment upon the cross, even before the foundations of the Earth, covers me with His holiness. in this i find once again, motivation to strive for pureness in the greatest.

No comments: