Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Reflection #2: A Love For A Brother

something else stirred my heart about Ignatius, and naturally i felt compelled to write about it:

i find it fascinating that Ignatius felt he had to write to the church in Rome prior to his arrival there. he knew the purpose of his trip there....it was told by the chains. but why did he write to them?

his letter stressed to them the importance of them NOT interfering with his trip, and ultimate end there in death. i find this striking. it appears to me that the church in Rome was willing to do anything to protect Ignatius.

i think of our brothers and sisters around the world who are persecuted daily for Christ. they send us no letters urging us to stand aside. perhaps because we are not jumping to help?

this is convicting for me. i sit back, often times letting the fact these things happen every day just escape my mind. i want to be one who receives a letter of sorts. i want my faith, my love for my brothers and sisters to be so strong and so bold, that i must be urged by them when persecuted for the Lord's name, to stand aside. not for my own self-worth mind you. but because i love my brother and sister so much, i will do anything for them, even die in their place.

might we be convicted, even encouraged to love our brothers and sisters, as i believe the church of Rome loved Ignatius. let's be bold and courageous for one another.

No comments: