Tuesday, November 6, 2007

for you

I don’t know much about death. Those who do are unable to tell us directly. I remember when I was younger going to funerals and just sitting or standing there, not showing emotion simply because I was not sad. It’s not that I was happy about the death, but everyone’s funeral I had been to, I really didn’t know them. I didn’t feel any lose of my own. Things have changed now. I cried for the first time at a funeral this Sunday afternoon during the service for my grandma. The memories flood your mind, her face and her voice. I think of her when she would laugh, how it came from deep inside her. It was not a shallow laugh, but a hearty one. I think of her smile, how big and great it was. Never a shallow half smile.

Coming home this weekend for the funeral was one of the best trips home I have had yet in my life. Granted I wish the circumstances could have been brighter, but there was joy none the less. I got to see all of my family, spend time with students from this past summer, hang with fellow leaders in the ministry, and chat with my pastor. Il never forget how the students made me feel Sunday night at reality. The love was amazing, and comforting. I love how God continually shows Himself through others in my life. I thank Him for the peace of mind and spirit He has granted me. I know where my grandma is, and whose presence she is in.

In his message at the funeral, Pastor Hauter raised the question of eternity. Do you know where you are going? My grandma did, it was clear. I spoke with my other grandma who was holding hands with my grandma when she died. She said it was so peaceful, no fear or concern, just peace. I think it is natural to be afraid of dieing, so I ask you where this peace could have come from. And I have an answer….from the Lord God whom she had faith in. And this is the same peace I have found in this time. This is why I can smile today, why I could smile and laugh Sunday. We have lost someone dear to us, but God is rejoicing one of His children has come home. This gives me peace, security. I know in my heart and mind, that when my time comes I will see her once again. I have made that choice concerning eternity. What is yours?

1 comment:

Kelsey Roshelle said...

Luke,
You don't realize how lucky you are.. That your Grandma died peaceful and she died when god wanted her to die. I wish that happened to my grandma.. I wish I could move on with my life.. But I need time..
Kelsey