Friday, January 11, 2008

the bus scene

i rode the bus today for the first time in about a month. strangely, it was really good. at one point i noticed myself praying for everyone getting off the bus when we would come to a stop.

one especially stuck out to me.

a man in an Army jacket got on the bus heading for the welfare building, which the bus passes. my mind started to turn as to what he had done, where he had come from, and where he was going. i soon realized i had no idea. he is a man that i don't know, and probably never will. nor will i probably ever see him again. but i prayed for him there, as i sat in my seat. something stirred in me that shoved all those ideas we get about homeless, poor people. and i remembered he was just a person like me. deserving of respect, as i am. that in the eyes of God i am no more special.

and then my heart jumped. i saw him pull out an Our Daily Bread devotional. call me pathetic about that, but it brought a smile to my face (or rather, made the one already there bigger). i saw a man seeking. but he wasn't just seeking anything.

he was seeking hope.

he was seeking Truth.

to the man whom i speak of, may you be blessed by God....may you seek Him with all of your being, in the good and bad. my He bless you greatly, and may you accept His gift for you, the life of His son on the cross and strive to follow after Him with all of your being.

and for us, might our hearts go out to those like this man. might our hearts be stirred, might they burn and our minds turn. might we allow a righteous anger move us out of our seat. after all, being a Christian, following Christ isn't about sitting in a pew on Sunday.

still swimming,

Luke

No comments: