Saturday, October 27, 2007

risk

so iv been talking with emily allison, and she pointed out that i have been writing a lot. you may have noticed this as well. its kinda weird i guess, cause all through out my academic career i never wrote this much. but here we are. iv summed it up to i just have a lot on my heart and mind i cant just keep bottled up and to myself. something in me says, i need to write this.....so i do.

in talking with emily this morning, i mentioned that i was going to work on my speech for this wednesday at some point today. and she asked me what it was about, and i realized this is something i must write. i can not keep it in.

iv been challenged about many things in my own life a lot here in the last few weeks, and as you can read in my earlier blog, have come to realize some things fully in the last few days.

one of these things iv been challenged with is what my speech is on. the last few weeks when iv been riding the bus, there has been a guy every once in a while. at first i tried to distance myself from him, i was almost embarrassed of him. sounds weird. see, he had no shame of his faith, and he actively sought out people to share it with. i on the other hand just sat quietly on the bus keeping to myself. here was a guy living out what i have preached about, and i am embarrassed to be associated with him in any way. that was not right.

see, i would always talk about sharing my faith, about how it is something i believe we are commanded to do (and i do). but then, i would just sit in my corner and wait for God to smack me in the face with an opportunity to share my faith. i would never stick my neck out. then i see this guy who even when trash talked by some guy, he keeps truckin along sharing his heart.

iv been convicted. i need to stop just preaching it and sitting in my corner and waiting. i need to step up to the plate and stick my neck out. i need to take some initiative. see, part of following Christ is taking risk. to stick your neck out knowing your head might get cut off. this is our charge as followers of Christ, and i am guilty of not stepping up most of the time.

this needs to change. i need to change. and i am....gradually. i would encourage you, if you call yourself a follower of Christ, a CHRISTIAN......to take this walk with me. it wont be easy, it will hurt at times. i need to start sticking myself out there, step out on that limb and take a chance for Christ. sure im going to fall every once in a while. but i know who is going to catch me. and that keeps me going. please join me in growing and living out a faith and love in Jesus Christ. after all, as followers it is no longer a choice.......but a command.

No comments: